People who keep turtles as pets often struggle to know exactly what they should be feeding their pet andhow much. After all, it’s a confusing topic! In general, your pet turtle should eat about half (50%) meat and the other
Learn About Turtle Food Turtles eat all types of different foods, but what would we call turtle food? In general, a turtle should eat about half plant matter and half meat. In the wild, a turtle’s diet will often depend
Learn about different types of turtles Turtles are a type of reptile. There are many, many different types of turtles. In the simplest terms, turtles can be broken up into 3 main sections: Turtles, Tortoises and Terrapins. In the US, these are
All Your Turtle Needs
Everything you need to take care of your pet turtle or tortoise
Start Learning About Turtles
Find Out Turtle Facts And How To Care For Them
Learn About Turtles
There are many different types of turtle species. The name "turtle" was originally derived from the French word "tortue". While in the US, the name turtle is commonly used for all chelonians. Chelonians are animals with "shields" on their backs and include the turtle, tortoise and terrapin. Different types of turtles live in fresh water and sea water.
Turtles hatch from small, leathery shells but can, throughout their life-cycle grow to an enormous 6.6ft, 2,000lb animal! If you ask the question - what do turtles eat? - you'll soon find out that it varies a lot! What turtles eat largely depends on the turtle's habitat.
Adult turtles in the wild will often eat sea-plants, insects, snails and worms. Some freshwater turtles eat small fish and lots of other water-based life forms. Baby turtles are entirely carnivorous as the need protein in order to grow.
Many turtle experts will attest that turtle diets vary greatly, even if their habitats are the same. So if you ask "what do turtles eat" you may get a different answer depending on which turtle you are talking about.
Some sea turtles for example, will eat jellyfish, sea-sponge and even shell fish! Others though are purely vegetarian and eat mostly algae.
Why Keep Pet Turtles?
While I have had almost every kind of pet imaginable, from fish, to chickens, crayfish, bearded dragons and much more, I love turtles the most.
Be sure to check out the website for all kinds of facts, hints, tips and my personal recommendations on all thing turtles, tortoises and terrapins.
Pet Turtle Care Guides And Information
People who keep turtles as pets often struggle to know exactly what they should be feeding their pet and how much. After all, it's a confusing topic! In general, your pet turtle should eat about half (50%) meat and the other half plant-based foods.
Pet Turtles Can Be Lots Of Fun
You can have lots of fun with a pet turtle. Of course as the owner of such a wonderful animal, you will be the one to choose a name for your turtle (or turtles), hand-feed your turtle, touch your turtle, let your turtle explore it's surroundings and so on.
Turtles are living creatures like any other and showing them care and affection can create a bond like no other.
You can definitely have a great time feeding a pet turtle by hand. You can even call them by name and talk to them to let them know you care for them and let them know when it's meal time.
Caring For Turtles At Home
Turtles (just like any other animal) need lots of loving care at home. If you want your pet turtle to be happy and healthy (who doesn't!?) then make sure you give them a life similar to what they would experience in the wild - but without the dangers!
This means making sure your turtle gets plenty of exercise, interesting things to do/play with, exciting and different types of foods and also lots of cuddles!
Be sure to browse my most popular posts below which other have found helpful.
Popular PostsGet The Best Information and Advice About Turtles
- What Do Leatherback Turtles Eat? What Do Leatherback Turtles Eat? What begs the question however, is just how such a large animal survives on a jellyfish diet, which is essentially water, and a small amount of protein and fat. The Leatherback has quite a long oesophagus leading from the mouth through to the back of the body ...
- Turtles Life Cycle Sea Turtle Life Cycle A turtle's life cycle begins as the mother turtle lays her eggs. Sea turtles lay their eggs on a nesting beach. Tortoises and other types of turtles lay their eggs in a similar way at a site the mother chooses. One a baby turtle hatches from its egg it ...
- Turtles As Pets For Beginners Turtle Care Caring for turtles is a very important part of owning a turtle. As a pet owner, you will no doubt want to give your little turtle all the "turtle care" in the world. This will make sure he/she grows to be strong and healthy. What do turtles eat? Of coarse ...
- How Many Leatherback Turtles Are Left In The World? Leatherback turtles Leatherback turtles are a species of turtle characterized by their lack of a bony shell and their distinct large size. Leatherback turtles are in fact so large that they are listed as the fourth heaviest reptile behind three species of crocodile. They have been known to weigh up to 900 ...
- Painted Turtle Pet – What To Feed A Painted Turtle Painted Turtles Have Beautiful Colors And Markings The painted turtle is small reptile that has a shell or carapace with various colors. Some species have red or yellow running through their carapace. Their legs and neck are dark, with a colored striped tail and yellow eyes. The male painted turtle are known ...